Monday 9 July 2007

Buh-Bye Tony



So Tony is gone. I've got to say, I'm not as saddened as Zoe above.

I don't know what to think of Gordon Brown yet. However, I've been pretty satisfied with how he has settled the recent terrorist attacks. Instead of running around with limbs flailing wildly, creating ineffective new Orwellian-sounding government departments, trying to discreetly scare the hibby-jibbies out of his own citizenry (like some national leaders I'm familiar with), the response has been sober and measured. Instead of proposing we invade unrelated sovereign nations, the matter has been treated as a serious police issue. Only those involved were arrested, rather than indiscriminately arresting thousands of Arab men in the US as happened after Sept. 11. And most importantly, it has worked. The baddies were caught with no injuries or deaths.

And a political ploy it may be, but offering to give up to Parliament the ministerial power to wage war is wise indeed. No single man should have that authority.

No conclusions on Brown from me yet, but so far, so good. If only the US leadership had been as wise or responsible in reaction to terrorism.

No comments: